?

Log in

Judy
13 April 2016 @ 10:22 pm
EDIT: I started adding links to the editors' amv.org pages and, uh, LJ yelled at me about the post being too long? So this is now split into 2006-2008, 2009-2012, and 2013-2016, because. Reasons.


Lo and behold!  A sort-of comprehensive list of the 2013-2016 Anime Boston AMV Contest Finalists and Winners!*

* = DISCLAIMER OF DISCLAIMING:  In no particular order in some cases, because I don't remember the original order and/or I lost my original notes and had to look up the information again.  And if there's more than two or three sources of video or audio, I get lazy and put (various)!  Except if the sources are all in the same canon--then I just list the most obvious.  For instance, I'm not going to list every single Kingdom Hearts game used in a video.  (Actually, anything in parentheses below the title that's not in quotation marks is probably a note that I'm not totally sure about something.)

...Okay, so maybe 'comprehensive' was a poor choice of words.  There's a pretty good chance I fucked up somewhere, like on the AMV maker / AMV studio thing, so uh.  Don't quote me on this?



KEY:
Title of AMV -- AWARD(S) WON (TECHNICAL OR AUDIENCE)
"Title of Song" by Artist Name
Title of Source Anime
Name of AMV editor



AB "13Collapse )


AB "14Collapse )


AB "15Collapse )

AB "16Collapse )





[07] = (...I'm...really not sure how this one made it to the finals?  It's...not really an AMV.  :/ )
[08] = (Giant robots...wearing high-top sneakers...playing magic basketball...IN SPACE. I--I didn't even know I needed this in my life. ♥)
[09] = (Yes, this song won Best Romance again. It was a really good AMV though!)
[10] = ("Fun" switched categories this year for no discernable reason)
[11] = (New category!  About time, too.  And the total number of finalists actually went up to 35! Possibly because 30 splits neatly into 5 and 6, but 7 not so much...)
[12] = (There were four One Punch Man vids this year. Four. Literally every other category had one.  I'm guessing people liked the anime, then?)
[13] = (Upbeat and Fun/Comedy switched places this year for no discernable reason)
[14] = (The same song, twice in one contest!  That might be a first for AB.)

 
 
moodswing at: nostalgicnostalgic
stuck in my head: ALL OF IT. D:
 
 
Judy
11 April 2016 @ 09:35 pm
EDIT: I started adding links to the editors' amv.org pages and, uh, LJ yelled at me about the post being too long? So this is now split into 2006-2008, 2009-2012, and 2013-2016, because. Reasons.


Lo and behold!  A sort-of comprehensive list of the 2009-2012 Anime Boston AMV Contest Finalists and Winners!*

* = DISCLAIMER OF DISCLAIMING:  In no particular order in some cases, because I don't remember the original order and/or I lost my original notes and had to look up the information again.  And if there's more than two or three sources of video or audio, I get lazy and put (various)!  Except if the sources are all in the same canon--then I just list the most obvious.  For instance, I'm not going to list every single Kingdom Hearts game used in a video.  (Actually, anything in parentheses below the title that's not in quotation marks is probably a note that I'm not totally sure about something.)

...Okay, so maybe 'comprehensive' was a poor choice of words.  There's a pretty good chance I fucked up somewhere, like on the AMV maker / AMV studio thing, so uh.  Don't quote me on this?



KEY:
Title of AMV -- AWARD(S) WON (TECHNICAL OR AUDIENCE)
"Title of Song" by Artist Name
Title of Source Anime
Name of AMV editor



AB "09Collapse )


AB "10Collapse )


AB "11Collapse )


AB "12Collapse )




[04] = (I only had to see this AMV once to fall in love with the music, so I'd like to thank "FaytxZen" for introducing me to edIT and glitch-hop.  Certified Air Raid Material is a great album.)
[05] = (This was the year "Other" finally got its own category.  Just in time for the 2011 mindfucks--"A Psychedelic Lover's Dream" probably only makes sense if you're high.)
[06] = (One person won four awards with two videos in the same contest.  And for good reason--they're fantastic, if a little trippy at points.  (Giant bouncing moustachio, I'm looking at you!))
 
 
moodswing at: nostalgicnostalgic
stuck in my head: ALL OF IT. D:
 
 
Judy
25 February 2016 @ 12:17 am
For the past two-and-a-half years I've been working in a specialty sweets shop that masquerades as a grocery/deli.  Inevitably, I started trying the cookies and chocolates we carry--and we carry a lot of different kinds of cookies & chocolates, imported & local & megabrands alike.  Here are some of the most memorable:


CADBURY CREME EGG COOKIES(/Biscuits)
1/5Collapse )

OREO MEGA STUF Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
3/5Collapse )

Chewy CHIPS AHOY! OREO CREME FILLED Soft Cookies
0/5Collapse )


CHIPS AHOY! MADE WITH REESE'S
3/5Collapse )


On to fancier things!

MANNER VIENNA LEMON CREAM FILLED WAFERS
5/5Collapse )


Pocky's Friend PÉJOY Chocolate Cream Filled Biscuit Sticks
4/5Collapse )


CARR'S GINGER LEMON CREMES
4/5Collapse )


OHMIGOD! PUCKER UP Lemon Flavored Cookies
4/5Collapse )


OHMIGOD! OVER THE RAINBOW Cookies/Cakes
4/5Collapse )


BISOUSWEET DOUGHNUT MUFFINS
4/5Collapse )


LINDT GRANDEUR 34% HAZELNUTS Milk Chocolate Bar
5/5Collapse )(footnote)Collapse )
Tags: ,
 
 
Judy
18 October 2015 @ 11:06 am

[EDIT: now crossposted on the tumblr]

This is something I worked out a while ago...like, in the last two years?  2014ish maybe.  Because I was reading yet another werefic based on hilariously inaccurate theories of grey wolf social structure*, and I decided to finally hammer out my headcanon for D.Gray-characters being wereshifters.  (Also the biologically-enforced-gender-role dynamics, but I'm leaving out that part because it's kinky but ultimately pisses me off.)

Assuming some humans manifest some sort of magical spiritual totemic bond with animals of a specific extant species of carnivore, but instead of being able to wolfwhisper you instead turn into a wolf; limiting the species pool to commonly known (/culturally significant) charismatic animals in a few of the Carnivora families, because most people don't know or care about fossa or binturong**.

who whatCollapse )

(I apologize in advance for the taxonomy geekery contained below.)

unnecessarily recursive footnotesCollapse )

 
 
hiding under: wikipedia
 
 
Judy
10 October 2015 @ 12:19 am
[[EDIT: I switched browsers and spent a full hour on an honest, good-faith attempt to crosspost this on Tumblr.  LJ code is incompatible there, so I did a lot of googling and swapping out terms.  I followed the instructions to the letter (in every sense of the phrase), but it still completely rejected the color formatting; after the third time switching between editing modes completely trashed the html and turned line and paragraph breaks upside down, I gave up.  Fuck that noise.]]
[[SON OF EDIT: finally up on tumblr! (sans colors.)]]

So here's something I did a lot of work on last spring, and intended to post about, but obviously that never happened.  (I'm always most creatively driven when I have something else to be procrastinating from...)

This is a version where two teams, from a human world and a troll world, are told that they're going to be competing against aliens to win--I'm too lazy to look at the notes right now, but I think both worlds are threatened with destruction and the winning team gets to save their planet and/or create a new one.  (At least, that's what they're told at first.)  Different home planets, same Medium; yes, that means shared moons.  I'm ignoring any alpha/beta revisionverses in favor of there being one human team and one troll team, each with nine members; I ignored about half the Noah because of characterization reasons (if I only know three things about them, one of those being their name, I can't get into their headspace).  Humans are largely Exorcists, trolls are largely Noah; I didn't feel creative enough to try mixing that up, vice versa or with integrated teams.

I actually have a semi-fleshed-out storyline for this 'verse, where two-thirds of the characters (including all time/space players) die horribly for one reason or another and the remaining six have to team up for survival, regardless of species (and regardless of who may have murdered whom in the past).  I'll go over some of that in a later post, maybe?  Same for lands, sprites, backstories, etc.  (wrt titles: I spent a looooong time angsting over classes and aspects, based on my understanding/headcanon from something like a few years ago.  At some point I intend to research more recent developments in canon for that.  I still haven't read beyond D.Gray-chapter 203, and the last page of HS I read had Jade meeting Calliope in a dream.  It's been awhile.)

FORMAT:
> Full Name (Nicknames if they have any)
> [Handle if known]
> Title
> [Symbol if known]
> Typing Quirk
> Strife Specibus
> Dreamself Notes


EARTHLING HUMAN PLAYERS:
some black-order folksCollapse )

ALTERNIAN TROLL PLAYERS:
some anti-order folksCollapse )
 
 
 
Judy
08 October 2015 @ 06:04 am
because reasons.

disclaimer:  since this is my best guess of what she sings based on a single live youtube video, this is probably at least 20% bullshit; italics are for serious wobblies--'yo' versus 'wo', however the fuck she's conjugating/declining the verb at the end of the chorus, etc.  I did srs research with my ears, Denshi Jisho, and Google Translate!  you have been warned.

ELIZAVETA - 夢みる
(Yumemiru: the Japanese version/adaptation of her song "Dreamer," a single on the Beatrix Runs album)
夢みるCollapse )


the lyrics of the original english-language version for comparison:
DreamerCollapse )
 
 
moodswing at: ahaha procrastinationland :'D
stuck in my head: ~maybe my song isn't happy enough~
 
 
Judy
04 April 2015 @ 04:18 am
[archive post of finalists past]

The AMV Contest is quickly shaping up to be my favorite part of the con.

(Apparently this year a record-breaking number of videos were entered: forms sent for 210, 194 uploaded, and 172 managed to qualify--and somehow Programming has managed to cram all of the overflow into the three days of the con.  (Perhaps this is connected to AB's expansion into the fifth floor of the Sheraton...)  Also apparently this year's is their biggest Best of Show trophy yet offered--it did look pretty hefty.  Also also the guy in charge of the AMV Contest (since 2005) is leaving(!!); fortunately, his successor managed to hook us up with neat little cards with a tear-off ballot, leaving us the listing to take home.  Sadly it doesn't leave much room for notes; I tend to scribble all over mine, and it can be difficult trying to decipher my own handwriting.)

This year I feel like putting the ballot up Friday night, instead of waiting until Saturday or Sunday or Monday when the winners have been announced.  Why the hell not.

First, the exhibition pieces!  After the last two years, I'm actually a little surprised there wasn't a My Little Pony remake of one of the previous year's winning AMVs.  (I think it was Bashar who did it? a version of Shin's 2012 Extraball vid, and a version of Ileia's 2013 Radioakshun vid.)  Largely kaiju-themed vids instead.
~ "Totoro Meets Godzilla" (Vlad G Pohnert), a loving homage to the classic "Bambi Meets Godzilla" (came as a bit of a surprise to those who haven't heard of the original; I do so love horrified audience reactions)
~ "Go Go Tohoscope!" (drewaconclusion), what seems like an actual music video--or at least a retrospective of live-action Godzilla films set to an extremely topical song.
~ "Otaku Paradise" (BecauseImBored1), a mashup/juxtaposition of anime clips and video of cosplayers at anime cons.  Gotta be honest with you, I had a bit of an attack of the feels during this vid.

(Before the exhibitions there was also a truly adorable paper-puppet video demonstrating proper emergency procedure.  I love this con.)

DRAMA (1 win)Collapse )

ACTION (3 wins!)Collapse )

ROMANCE (2 wins!)Collapse )

UPBEAT (2 wins)Collapse )

OTHER (1 win)Collapse )

FUN/COMEDY (2 wins)Collapse )

ROUNDUP: Ileia & Shin cleaned house this year!  And a Romance vid won Best of Show for the first time in...uh...ever at this con, to my knowledge.  (To be fair, it's far from classic romance.)
At the con feedback panel, AB staff mentioned that only six of the eleven awards were handed out in person this year (two to one person); the other five awards have to be shipped to the winners (two to one person), two of whom are in Seattle, one in Michigan, and one apparently busy running Anime Conji in San Diego.  As Anime Conji has a maddening website apparently lacking a staff listing, I have no idea which AMV belonged to that person.



* DISCLAIMER:  I don't know shit about AMV editing; I've never made one in my life.  I do really enjoy watching them every year, though!
 
 
stuck in my head: (most of these, naturally)
 
 
Judy
26 May 2014 @ 10:09 pm
(yo!  *waves*  so I'm not as prolific or social as I used to be.  oh well.  I intend to keep this up, anyway, even if it is down to, like, one update a year.  I got projects and shit that I may or may not eventually get up here.  so much cross-concepting...)

So, in the same vein as Kirikirimai and In Our Dreams, here's my take of the lyrics to Elizaveta's recent English-language EP "HERO".  All of these are based on my perception of the words spoken, not necessarily the original intent; where I'm entirely unclear on what the hell she's singing, I'll note it with italics and plenty of bewildered question marks.

01. HERO
02. RED BALLOON
03. SORRY
04. SPACEMAN
05. GOD ONLY KNOWS

01. HERO
Elizaveta posted her official lyrics here on her blog, but the background is unnoted and there are occasional differences (asterisked).  For the Russian part, I have the original lyrics she posted in Cyrillic and a tentative transliteration beneath.

I"m the one who will fallCollapse )


02. RED BALLOON
Elizaveta posted her official version of the first part of the first verse here on her tumblr, but not the rest of the lyrics, and there's a word substitution on the EP track ("flew" instead of "took"). (I'm ignoring the "ba ba da, ba ba da, ...ba ba da; ba ba da, ba ba da, ba ba da ba da ba da" bit during the latter part of the final chorus for reasons of clutter and inability to appropriately represent the vocal layering without winding up with an incomprehensible wall of text.)

I want to fly foreverCollapse )


03. SORRY
Someone posted a version of these lyrics on a popular lyric site, but I disagree on a few points (asterisked).  (Also it sounds like the song was recorded in a bathroom with so-so acoustics, but I'm sure it's an artistic choice, alongside all that vibrato...)

I don"t care if I let you downCollapse )


04. SPACEMAN
I am excessively fond of this song, even if I'm dubious about the use of dubstep in it, but for the life of me I can't confidently identify a number of the lines.  Auuugh.  Mondegreen lines italicized.

can you hear me nowCollapse )


05. GOD ONLY KNOWS
This one is fairly short, sweet, and simple, compared to the multilayered clusterfucks above.  Also a nice conclusion to the album.  If there only wasn't that one damn line...

the song I"ll never sing for youCollapse )


:D
 
 
moodswing at: so done with this
stuck in my head: gee, can you guess?
 
 
Judy
22 June 2013 @ 06:37 pm
Naturally I wound up with three separate scenarios, none of which really apply to the D.Gray-stuck I talked about last post.  I'll do these in ascending order of how much time they took me to work out:

"Noah Zodiac" (cheap reorientation of sequences)Collapse )

"Noahcestors" (reincarnation considered, including Allen)Collapse )

"Noahspectrum" (agonizing cross-comparisons completely ignoring the new guys)Collapse )

The latter two of the scenarios is applicable to an alternate Kids/Game thing that I've been trying to work out ectobiology for and just succeeding in confusing myself further, and I'm pretty sure this sentence is an abomination unto the English language but whatever:

if the Kids didn"t include Allen, and I actually considered ectobiology:Collapse )
 
 
Judy
20 June 2013 @ 04:23 pm
yo  
Woo, it's been a while. I have a lot to do WRT updating this blog, if I do keep it updated--D.Gray-chapters, that other d_t convo, the AB AMV post...not to mention all the cross-concepting I've been doing. Oh well, one thing at a time.

D.Gray-stuck! (not to be confused with D.Troll-man)

DISCLAIMER
-- I haven't actually caught up with the canon DGM chapters from 204 onward...I keep intending to, and not doing it
-- and the last thing I remember keeping up with re: Homestuck was John waking up from his tantrum-induced dreambubble convo with Vriska and Tavros
-- and of course I read through the first few thousand pages of HS on a device that refused to view the Flash pages, which was super confusing and it's only the recaps that helped me understand anything at all; I'm trying to finish remedying that now, and also catch up, but it's pretty time-consuming


So, the Fab Four as the Kids, the Noah as the Trolls, the Earl and the 14th as the Cherubs, and I'm too lazy to put much thought into ectobiological shenanigans right now.  Not really interested in the game mechanics e.g. denizens and consorts and carapaces and exiles etc., but the titles and lands and locations and themes etc. will be addressed.

settingCollapse )

So!  I've mostly been working with the Fab Four/Kids angle.  Here's what I've got so far:

Allen, Knight of HopeCollapse )

Kanda, Prince of LifeCollapse )

Lenalee, Maid of SpaceCollapse )

Lavi, Mage of TimeCollapse )


*I'm assuming someone's made this joke about Caliborn/Lord English already